Saturday, July 15, 2017

Week Three Technologies: Goodreads and Pocket

This week I tried two of the technologies on our weekly list: Goodreads and Pocket.  Here are my thoughts on both:

Goodreads

I love to read.  I am always asking family and friends for book recommendations.  Using Goodreads, I can receive book recommendations based on my reading interests.  I can also track books I’ve read and make a list of books I want to read.  I can also look at other members’ reviews and opinions of different books they’ve read.  There are also groups, almost like book clubs, to join via Goodreads.  While I think Goodreads is a great concept, I’m not sure I will use it long-term.  Currently, I use Amazon (they currently own Goodreads) to track books I want to read.  I can also see reviews and recommendations on Amazon.  I think, however, one of the benefits of Goodreads is the groups.  I requested to join two groups, so hopefully I will have an update soon! If you currently use Goodreads, let me know if you have any advice.

Pocket


Pocket is wonderful.  I had some issues with the mobile app, so I’ve only used it on my computer.  If you haven’t explored Pocket, I’ll give you the rundown.  Pocket allows you to store content (e.g., websites, video, articles) to view later on any device with Pocket installed.  I am guilty of aimlessly wandering the Internet when I am working or writing (oops).  Now, I can save these items for later rather than wasting valuable time.  Installation is through a Google Chrome Extension and very simple.  I also currently use Diigo, which I have now dedicated to school-related content.  

No comments:

Post a Comment