Sunday, July 16, 2017

Caught Informal Learning

Informal learning is one of my research interests.  Specifically, I want to know how teens use social media and online applications for informal learning.  Kids are taking charge of what they want to learn more than we may think!

Although he is not an example of a "teen," I caught my husband doing some good old informal learning using a mobile app.  It was my turn to drive on our trip home.  I looked over and he had his face in his phone.  When I asked what he was up to, he told me he was learning Dutch.  My reaction: Huh?  He told me that he downloaded the Duolingo app and was learning Dutch on his phone.  He wants to be able to communicate with some of our friends in their native language next time we travel to Aruba.

Aruba is a very diverse country.  While everyone speaks English, the other languages include: Dutch, Spanish, and Papiamento.  Many of the friends we've made over the last two visits are Dutch.  Although they speak English to us, they often speak Dutch to each other.  It will be pretty cool to finally know what they're saying!  I hope to have some free time soon (haha) to give Duolingo a try!




No comments:

Post a Comment