Saturday, July 8, 2017

Snap Maps: Fostering a Global Community?

Earlier this week, I read a post by Alexis about Snap Maps.  Snap Maps are a new Snapchat feature that allow you to get a location-based glimpse of your friends and events happening around the world.  Here is a glimpse at my Snap Map:


I like the feature.  I think it's interesting.  Snapchat filters the content so that users aren't exposed to innapropriate or explicit snaps.  Also, Snapchat users can turn off the feature so their location isn't public.

I wanted to see what the Internet was saying about it.  Obviously, there were a lot of negative opinions about it regarding the safety of Snapchat users (especially young children who technically aren't supposed to be using it anyway...).  I want to focus on the positives.  I read an interesting NPR article that is relevant to our course material this week:

"'There's something incredible about this,' says Jill Walker Rettberg, a professor of digital culture at the University of Bergen in Norway. 'You can see the whole world. You can see life in a community you might not see otherwise,' she says...The notion that the map could foster a global community or sense of togetherness was important in Snap Map's development...Snaps are so often the most quotidian scenes that you'd see in the U.S. — only they're happening abroad: silly faces at happy hour, snippets from long car rides, a man salivating over a blurry plate of rice and meat in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, a woman trying to coax a squirrel over with food in Mexico City."

I like this perspective of Snap Maps fostering a global community.  Based on what you know about Snap Maps, do you think it has the potential to work?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren!

    May I start by saying that I love your blog name. It is really clever reference.

    So now to your question about Snap Maps. I think it has a lot of potential to work. A lot of applications are making use of knowing our location. Movie based apps like fandango, pizza ordering apps, banking apps, and more are asking for our location on a regular basis. This makes it easier for them to advertise to us properly. It also creates a group of people who are very aware of each other on a new level. It's an excited concept to see pan out.

    While I can definitely see the fear behind constantly having our locations showcased, in a way they already are. This seems to be the direction that a lot of our apps are going. I don't see an issue with it, especially since there is an option of turning the "tracking" feature. We just have to make sure that it is being used responsibly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I can't take credit though... it was a title of an article I read :)

    I absolutely agree that this feature needs to be used responsibly. Not only in terms of sharing location, but also the content that is shared on the Snap Maps.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete