Sunday, July 23, 2017

Does your Bitmoji actually look like you?

It seems like everyone has a Bitmoji these days.  I recently created one and use it on Snapchat.  When I look at many of my friends' Bitmojis, I think to myself, "Um, that looks nothing like you."  Maybe it is a reflection of how they want to look?  Here's an article from the NY Times that touches on the subject.

I checked and, alas, no empirical research on Bitmojis and identity.  Maybe a fun project for the future?

For your entertainment, here is a funny video called "You Look Nothing Like Your Bitmoji."

Bitmojis and Teaching/Learning

I checked to see if there were any uses of Bitmojis in teaching and learning.  I did a quick search and actually found an example! Jackson (2016) suggested that Bitmojis can be helpful for students with special needs to communicate emotions. Interesting!

So, fellow EME6414 bloggers... any ideas about Bitmojis in teaching and learning?

Jackson, N. (2016). A-Z of great ideas for the classroom – BITMOJI. Retrieved from
https://teachlearncreate.com/teaching-learning/a-z-of-great-ideas-for-the-classroom-bitmoji/

5 comments:

  1. Graphical depictions of the emoji variety have been used for people with certain disorders that affect their understanding, processing, and communication of emotions for some time. It makes sense. They learn to identify actions with a feeling and a facial expression.

    Also, bitmoji are really just extensions of avatars, which are useful in profiles, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I never thought of it as a useful tool for people with those disorders.

      Delete
  2. I hadn't considered how bitmojis can be used to helps students with special needs, but that's awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    Even my grandpa has a bitmoji! He sends it over text and it always makes me laugh because it looks nothing like him and everything like Colonel Sanders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to make my bitmoji look like me, but with all the facial lines I looked like an old lady. I know I just turned 40, but I do not believe I am "old". So, I took a few of the lines off and felt like I reached a compromise. I will let you be the judge of whether or not it actually looks like me. = )

    Also, one possible educational activity might be having students create a bitmoji representing how they perceive themselves and one representing how they think others perceive them. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete